Panel plugins have a fixed size in trunk

juha kautto.juha at kolumbus.fi
Tue Sep 11 21:00:31 CEST 2007

Enrico Tröger kirjoitti:

>>> In the way like on http://www.uvena.de/tmp/xfce_big_panel.png?
>>>

>> Isn't that just right?
>>
> IMO not. I have to have a far too wide panel to be able to see the
> clock. If I have a panel size which is nice, then I can't see the
> clock, at least not completely. ATM, it is unusable.
>

>>> I think panel plugins should take care of the used font size
>>> according to the panel size. This affects also the sensors plugin.
>>>

>> Hmm. Maybe a maximum would now make sense after the panel size
>> is fixed, but no program can quess what size of fonts I want to use.
>>
> But anything should change. The current behaviour is too bad: have a
> panel which is 3times too wide or just see only the hours of the clock.

Can you find a font which is small enough?
You can select any font from your system?
Can you still read the clock if it is fit in that small panel?
Do you actually mean that plugin should automatically
adjust the font size even if there is no such font in the system?

Can you give any example of a working plugin with text,
so that I could see what you mean.

>>> I just noticed it even happens when I use a horizontal panel
>>> (http://www.uvena.de/tmp/xfce_hori_panel.png). Setting the width of
>>> the orage clock in the properties dialog doesn't work at all, btw.
>>>

>> It has no effect or how does it not work?
>> Works fine for me in 4.4.
>>
> Regardless which values I set(tried with values >200) for both width and
> height but absolutely nothing changed. I tried it with a horizontal and
> vertical panel.

And you are sure you have selected the box in front of the size?
And you are NOT using the new panel from trunk but production 4.4?
if those are YES, I can't understand what is wrong.