mailwatch-plugin and SSL

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun May 27 23:45:59 CEST 2007

On Sun, 27 May 2007 23:05:37 +0200 Landry Breuil wrote:

> Will there be a new release for mailwatch-plugin ? I've seen there
> has been a reorganisation(libmailwatch)

For which the corresponding commit message says:

"this reorg is totally unnecessary, but i did it anyway because i felt
like it."

Clearly, it alone doesn't warrant a release.

> and various fixes a long time ago,

Not really.  I see maybe one bugfix that's more severe than 'trivial'.

> but as brian is busy on lots of things, i'm wondering where this
> plugin is on his TODO-pile :)

I haven't  been planning a new release because there hasn't really
been a need.  There are some known problems (like partial responses
being received from servers) that don't have fixes and will likely
require a bit of work.

> I've seen too that GNUTLS 1.2.0 was mandatory for STARTTLS/SSL
> support, and, quoting brian in the changelog, "hopefully i'll be able
> to make this optional later".. is it still in the plan ? We only have
> gnutls 1.0.25 on OpenBSD (yeah, lame, i know..), so i can't make the
> port for the plugin with SSL-enabled parts.. sad.

Have you tried changing the version check in configure to allow use of
gnutls 1.0.x?  I don't know if they're API-compatible; when I wrote
mailwatch's SSL support, I had 1.2 installed, so I depended on the
oldest version I felt like testing with.  If it does compile, please
make sure it actually works with SSL-enabled IMAP or POP3 servers, and
submit a patch to change the version requirement to that which you
tested.

Otherwise, you can at least just not compile with SSL support.

> Reading the code, i
> suppose it won't be simple to replace GNUTLS with OpenSSL...

OpenSSL is not GPL-compatible[1].  If I were to add support for another
crypto library, it would be Mozilla NSS.  I have no immediate plans to
do so, however.

> Btw, 1.0.1 release works fine here otherwise, some plans to make it
> interact with notification-daemon would be great :)

IMO, we need *fewer* annoying popups on the desktop, not more.

	-brian

[1] See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html