[Proposal] Meta-themes

Harold Aling h.aling at home.nl
Fri Jun 8 08:26:21 CEST 2007

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 11:21:08 +0200 Stephan Arts wrote:
>

>> To allow artists to create 'complete' themes, and to simplify the
>> installation interface for those themes, I would like to propose
>> meta-themes. Theme packages which contain all the themes and a file
>> with information about where to install them, the license of each
>> component, it's author and the release-date.
>>
> [...]
>
>> But as a first step, I would like to know what you think of the idea.
>> I have made a first draft[1], as a first example of how it could be
>> done and I would like you to take a look.
>>
>> [1] http://mocha.foo-projects.org/~stephan/meta-themes-spec.html
>>

> A few comments:
>
> * Have you looked at how GNOME and KDE does this?  If you design a
> totally new system, I would think it unlikely that Freedesktop would
> adopt it (or rather, that GNOME and KDE would adopt it).  A new spec
> should incorporate the better elements of what GNOME and KDE are using,
> and, ideally, should be somehow backward-compatible with their
> metatheme systems.

In an other post there was a link to the Murrina-LemonGraphite theme[1].
That page says:

"Download Murrina-LemonGraphite (1.8 kb)

Drag and drop this theme into the theme manager to install"

DnD a .tar.gz onto the settings manager to install a theme would be very
cool!

[1] http://art.gnome.org/themes/gtk2/1347