Post-4.4: Appfinder

Jean-Philippe Guillemin jp.guillemin at free.fr
Mon Jan 15 20:49:35 CET 2007

Alexandre Moreira wrote:

> Now to the real reason:
>
> 2) Thinking about the scenario of someone wanting to make a
> distribution based on Xfce (and I know quite a few, like the
> Brazillian Dream linux and Xubuntu and Zenwalk).
>
> It would be great to people to have a nice place they could add their
> own System settings plugin launchers.
Yes, and I'm very thankful to Benedikt for the care about my feature
request.

In the meantime, I and a friend have written a tool called Zenpanel,
which does the job, see the screenshot below :
http://www.zenwalk.org/images/shots/shot-prefences.png

As you can see it has a nice banner support :)

The user just have to put some ".desktop" files in a directory and call
Zenpanel on this directory.

I think that this kind of tool is simple and elegant by design (small is
beautiful) thus really useful for distribution builders, and easy to
customize for users.

Cheers

JP