License for 4.4

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Fri Jan 5 21:35:52 CET 2007

Biju Chacko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think we should change the text of all GPL licensed components in XFCE
> to GPL v2 only. This will allow us to move to GPL3 once we see a
> consensus in the community to move to GPL3. Otherwise we will be
> automatically switched when GPL3 is released.

No automatic switch. If someone wants to, he could distribute a fork of
Xfce GPL3 only. That would suck. So would a GPL2 fork...

> I don't want to get into a license flamewar, but in my opinion we should
> only move to GPL3 when several other big projects have done so. I don't
> think any of us know enough about it, but I think it would be safer to
> go along with the majority of the community is doing.

I think that as long as we don't accept any GPL3-only contributions,
nothing changes for our users, except when GPL3 offers them an advantage
they can't get from GPL2. This is fine by me.

So, my suggestion would be to keep things as they are now. Is there a
good reason not to?

    Jasper