License for 4.4

Ori Bernstein rand_chars at rogers.com
Fri Jan 5 17:49:00 CET 2007

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 12:49:11 +0530, Biju Chacko <botsie at xfce.org> said:

> Hi,
>
> I think we should change the text of all GPL licensed components in XFCE
> to GPL v2 only. This will allow us to move to GPL3 once we see a
> consensus in the community to move to GPL3. Otherwise we will be
> automatically switched when GPL3 is released.

Not quite true. It's more that anyone will be able to fork a GPL3 version of
Xfce if they want, or at least that's how I understand it.

Personally, I don't see this as a problem.

> I don't want to get into a license flamewar, but in my opinion we should
> only move to GPL3 when several other big projects have done so. I don't
> think any of us know enough about it, but I think it would be safer to
> go along with the majority of the community is doing.

Or perhaps we could -- when it gets released -- research the advantages, and
make an informed decision at that time? Sorry, I've never been a big fan of
the "do what the other guys are doing" approach.

Either way, I'd suggest we drop this topic until GPLv3 is released.
--
Documentation:
	Instructions translated from Swedish by Japanese for English