License for 4.4

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Fri Jan 5 21:20:44 CET 2007

Jean-François Wauthy wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 17:25 +0100, Bernhard Walle wrote:
>
>> Yes, but 'automatic switch' sounds like Xfce would be 'GPL v3 only'
>> after GPL v3 is released. I consider this more as dual-licensing: v2
>> and v3 at your choice.
>>

> At the _user's choice_, that's where the automatic switch can be seen
> since we (the devs) don't have anything to say anymore on the choice
> between v2, v3 or any future version. To me, dual-licensing is having
> some kind of a 'discussion' between devs and user about which version of
> the licence they want to use and then the user has to stick to it.

They can already use it any way they like. It's redistribution that is
restricted by the terms of the GPL. So, other people can create a fork
an distribute it as GPL3 only. Should we care about that? I don't think so.

As long as we don't accept GPL3 only licensed code for Xfce, nothing
changes for the user, except if GPL3 allows more than GPL2, which is
also fine by me.

    Jasper