License for 4.4

Bernhard Walle bernhard.walle at gmx.de
Fri Jan 5 13:27:54 CET 2007

Hello,

* Biju Chacko <botsie at xfce.org> [2007-01-05 08:19]:

> I think we should change the text of all GPL licensed components in XFCE
> to GPL v2 only. This will allow us to move to GPL3 once we see a
> consensus in the community to move to GPL3. Otherwise we will be
> automatically switched when GPL3 is released.

No, nothing is "automatically switched". Xfce stays GPLv2, the "or
later" clause only means that somebody can re-license it under GPLv3
which basically means that he is able to include the source code in a
GPLv3 project.

> I don't want to get into a license flamewar, but in my opinion we should
> only move to GPL3 when several other big projects have done so. I don't
> think any of us know enough about it, but I think it would be safer to
> go along with the majority of the community is doing.

Although I personally like the idea of GPLv2 only, I think that's not
possbile. Xfce contains patches from many contributors, and you cannot
change the license later without having acknowledges of every single
contributor.

Regards,
Bernhard
--
F: Wie viele Microsoft-Leute braucht man um eine Glühbirne zu wechseln?
A: Vier. Der erste ersetzt die Birne, der zweite ändert die Fassung, so dass