License for 4.4

Jean-François Wauthy pollux at xfce.org
Fri Jan 5 17:13:21 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 13:27 +0100, Bernhard Walle wrote:
> Hello,

Hi

> No, nothing is "automatically switched". Xfce stays GPLv2, the "or
> later" clause only means that somebody can re-license it under GPLv3
> which basically means that he is able to include the source code in a
> GPLv3 project.

Not quite (at least according to Belgian laws), the GPL licence with the
'or later' mention lets the final user choose which version of the
licence he wants to use v2, v3, ...

It's a special case of contract called 'stipulation pour autrui'. If
there are lawyers out here, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers
--
Jean-François Wauthy <pollux at xfce.org>