Goals for next Xfce releases: tasklist

Xavier Otazu xotazu at cvc.uab.es
Thu Feb 1 12:46:36 CET 2007

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 12:00:02 +0100
xfce4-dev-request at xfce.org wrote:

> I think the main issue is with the merging of the systray and
> launcher. There are people who like the tasklist+systray but minus
> the launcher, others who like the tasklist+launcher but minus the
> systray, people (like me) who like all 3 together, and those who just
> like the grouping, drag&drop idea of the tasklist only.
>
> So to keep everyone happy, lets have options in 'preferences' where
> you are able to 'Enable/Disable System Tray integration' and
> 'Enable/Disable Launcher integration' . This is what I like the
> 'final' applet to consist of.

My opinion is to keep in different packages the tasklist, the
launcher and the system-tray.

They are different applications with different objetives, and they are
three different "use cases" for the user. Hence they should be different
packages.

Furthermore, it will be easy for developers to maintain three small
applications than maintain a giant one. It is better to "live" without
tasklist but with launcher and systray, than to live without any of
the three.

cheers

Xavier