Goals for next Xfce releases: tasklist

Alexandre Moreira alexandream at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 15:31:30 CET 2007

2007/2/1, Xavier Otazu <xotazu at cvc.uab.es>:

> On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 12:00:02 +0100
> xfce4-dev-request at xfce.org wrote:
>
> > I think the main issue is with the merging of the systray and
> > launcher. There are people who like the tasklist+systray but minus
> > the launcher, others who like the tasklist+launcher but minus the
> > systray, people (like me) who like all 3 together, and those who just
> > like the grouping, drag&drop idea of the tasklist only.
> >
> > So to keep everyone happy, lets have options in 'preferences' where
> > you are able to 'Enable/Disable System Tray integration' and
> > 'Enable/Disable Launcher integration' . This is what I like the
> > 'final' applet to consist of.
>

> My opinion is to keep in different packages the tasklist, the
> launcher and the system-tray.
>
> They are different applications with different objetives, and they are
> three different "use cases" for the user. Hence they should be different
> packages.
>
> Furthermore, it will be easy for developers to maintain three small
> applications than maintain a giant one. It is better to "live" without
> tasklist but with launcher and systray, than to live without any of
> the three.

I agree. But I believe one of the "big" things we'll need for 4.6 is a
rewrite of the tasklist plugin. I've checked the original source some
months ago but my skills were not enough to even try changing
anything.

What I would like (consider this my personal Wish List) for the tasklist is:

1) Merge the code base of iconbox with tasklist. They do the same,
behave the same and should be exactly like the other... they just DRAW
differently. I would be a happy iconbox user if it would blink on
urgent hint... and it would happily blink on urgent hint if it was
only a tasklist being drawn differently

2) And this is part of number one: separate the code of the tasklist
from the panel lib. I believe they were highly coupled and this can
really set some new developers whose only "itch to scratch" lies on
the tasklist, but needs to find his way all through the bigger code
base of the panel (it happened to me, at least, but maybe it was my
own fault, so number 2 is not really important)

3) Apply some of the ideas robin posted. I love the way you can use
only one icon per group of applications and still have them all listed
on tasklist (this should be watched out for Iconbox... would make
little sense) and drag&dropping to reorder is nice too... perhaps not
a must, though.

4) Talking about reorder. Please let my tasklist be sorted on a
whichever was launched first order , instead of the (seems to be)
alphabetical order I've seeing... I hate launching something like
thunar and it goes all the way to the left, while I would expect a new
window to be near the end of the list.

Keep in mind that those are just wishes and "Requests for comments"...
I think you guys may have plenty of reasons not-to-do something listed
here and would like to hear them :) (or read... for that matter)

Best Regards,
Alexandre Moreira.