Goals for next Xfce releases: tasklist

robin me at robin.com.au
Thu Feb 1 10:20:42 CET 2007

Once again the demo:
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsltimu/task-system-launcher.html

Nick Schermer wrote:
> This needs some more brain time before we can even start thinking
> about writing source code. The mockups look great, but I have my
> doubts about some of the features...

Of course, I would really really like this to be implemented in the next
release. So bring on the suggestions. Nick proposed what should be done at
http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2006-December/021974.html ,
basically the 'new' tasklist without any systemtray or launcher
integration.

I think the main issue is with the merging of the systray and launcher.
There are people who like the tasklist+systray but minus the launcher,
others who like the tasklist+launcher but minus the systray, people (like
me) who like all 3 together, and those who just like the grouping,
drag&drop idea of the tasklist only.

So to keep everyone happy, lets have options in 'preferences' where you
are able to 'Enable/Disable System Tray integration' and 'Enable/Disable
Launcher integration' . This is what I like the 'final' applet to consist
of.

But you gotta start somewhere, so if the developers feel that WITHOUT the
launcher+systray integration will be a good start, then so be it. But
leave the application code 'open' for possible future implementation of
the launcher+systray integration.

Sounds good? Tell me what else is there to consider.
Robin