Session client support in libxfce4ui

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Dec 19 23:40:21 CET 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:08:56 +0100 Nick Schermer wrote:

> I'd like to know that kinda client session support we want in
> linxfce4ui, which means, how complicated do we want it to be? Only a
> bunch of simple signals that allow applications to save, die etc? In a
> way it's suitable for Xfce (and hopefully also Thunar) or a bit bigger
> like GnomeClient?

I'd prefer no session management support at all in libxfce4ui.  libexo
has a simple x11r5-type implementation, which should be fine for most
apps that just want to set a restart command.

Otherwise, I'm at least considering dropping session management support
from xfdesktop, and maybe any other apps I work on as well.  There are
just too many reports of people losing xfdesktop, or xfce4-panel, or
whatever, and then somehow these apps fall out of the session, and
there are just too many problems.

For 'core' desktop apps, I'd like to see some kind of switcher that can
be used to set (or disable) which app does things like drawing the
desktop, displaying panels, act as window manager, etc.  It would be
nice to standardise this with fd.o or someone so users can pick and
choose.  xfce4-session could then either know how this system works and
launch the proper apps directly, or launch a helper app that handles it.

Barring that, I think I'd actually rather put xfdesktop etc. in
autostart rather than continuing to use session management.

	-brian