Question about desktop files

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Fri Aug 24 23:36:19 CEST 2007

Am Thu, 23 Aug 2007 21:50:59 -0300
schrieb "David B. Cortarello" <nomius at users.berlios.de>:

> On 8/23/07, Jean-Philippe Guillemin <jp.guillemin at free.fr> wrote:
> > Christian Dywan wrote:
> > >
> > > Why in the world do you want to get rid of gksu? It's a super
> > > handy tool for nothing but running graphical apps as root. It
> > > does not require gnome.
> > Gksu prior to version 1.3.7 : yes.
> >
> > After this version Gnome session and Gnome keyring are needed (no
> > more "-a" switch if I remember well). That's why Zenwalk still
> > provide version 1.3.7 of Gksu.
> >
> > > And forking or replacing a tool "for the sake of having
> > > our own" is not worth it at all.
> > >
> > It would be worth to have a password session keyring in XFCE imho.
> >
> > > I hope this didn't sound harsh, but your statement simply doesn't
> > > make sense to me without a very good reason.
> > >
> > I guess you expected me to state things without a good reason,
> > right ?  ;)
> >
> > Cheers
> > JP
> > > Regards,
> > >     Christian
> >

> I wrote a simple program called ktsuss that works as gksu (it started
> like an application for Kwort, but anyone can use it), but it is a lot
> smaller and simpler than gksu. It doesn't have a keyring session and
> probably it will never have so.
>
> Anyways, it's only gtk2 dependent, so any with G* can run it.
> You can download it from here:
> http://dcortarello.googlepages.com/ktsuss-1.0.tar.gz
>
> Bugs reports and suggests are welcome.

This looks (and works) nicely already. In case there is a
general interest in replacing gksu this might be our successor of
choice.

A strong suggestion of mine would be to use a native gtk dialog instead
of a custom window. If you are not so used to gtk I will gladly tell
you how to do that or make a patch.

Regards,
    Christian