Question about desktop files

David B. Cortarello nomius at users.berlios.de
Sat Aug 25 00:16:31 CEST 2007

On 8/24/07, Christian Dywan <christian at twotoasts.de> wrote:
> Am Thu, 23 Aug 2007 21:50:59 -0300
> schrieb "David B. Cortarello" <nomius at users.berlios.de>:

> > > Gksu prior to version 1.3.7 : yes.
> > >
> > > After this version Gnome session and Gnome keyring are needed (no
> > > more "-a" switch if I remember well). That's why Zenwalk still
> > > provide version 1.3.7 of Gksu.

> > > It would be worth to have a password session keyring in XFCE imho.

> > > I guess you expected me to state things without a good reason,
> > > right ?  ;)
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > JP
> > >

> > I wrote a simple program called ktsuss that works as gksu (it started
> > like an application for Kwort, but anyone can use it), but it is a lot
> > smaller and simpler than gksu. It doesn't have a keyring session and
> > probably it will never have so.
> >
> > Anyways, it's only gtk2 dependent, so any with G* can run it.
> > You can download it from here:
> > http://dcortarello.googlepages.com/ktsuss-1.0.tar.gz
> >
> > Bugs reports and suggests are welcome.
>
> This looks (and works) nicely already. In case there is a
> general interest in replacing gksu this might be our successor of
> choice.
>
> A strong suggestion of mine would be to use a native gtk dialog instead
> of a custom window. If you are not so used to gtk I will gladly tell
> you how to do that or make a patch.
>
> Regards,
>     Christian

Of course, patches of any kind are welcome. Send me the patch and I'll merge it.
I'm not very good at interfaces so ktsuss doesn't look very nice
because of that. :P
Actually I think that native gtk dialog will make the code look
smaller and simpler which is that ktsuss is all about.

Anyways, the idea of ktsuss is to "Keep The SU Simple" (The another
"S" I leave it to you :-P) and I think it already does it. :)

--
David B. Cortarello <nomius`at`users`dot`berlios`dot`de>
Weblog: http://nomius.blogspot.com
Jabber: nomius at jis.mit.edu

"Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes." - Edsger Dijkstra