Question about desktop files

David B. Cortarello nomius at users.berlios.de
Fri Aug 24 02:50:59 CEST 2007

On 8/23/07, Jean-Philippe Guillemin <jp.guillemin at free.fr> wrote:
> Christian Dywan wrote:
> >
> > Why in the world do you want to get rid of gksu? It's a super handy
> > tool for nothing but running graphical apps as root. It does not
> > require gnome.
> Gksu prior to version 1.3.7 : yes.
>
> After this version Gnome session and Gnome keyring are needed (no more
> "-a" switch if I remember well). That's why Zenwalk still provide
> version 1.3.7 of Gksu.
>
> > And forking or replacing a tool "for the sake of having
> > our own" is not worth it at all.
> >
> It would be worth to have a password session keyring in XFCE imho.
>
> > I hope this didn't sound harsh, but your statement simply doesn't
> > make sense to me without a very good reason.
> >
> I guess you expected me to state things without a good reason, right ?  ;)
>
> Cheers
> JP
> > Regards,
> >     Christian

I wrote a simple program called ktsuss that works as gksu (it started
like an application for Kwort, but anyone can use it), but it is a lot
smaller and simpler than gksu. It doesn't have a keyring session and
probably it will never have so.

Anyways, it's only gtk2 dependent, so any with G* can run it.
You can download it from here:
http://dcortarello.googlepages.com/ktsuss-1.0.tar.gz

Bugs reports and suggests are welcome.

--
David B. Cortarello <nomius`at`users`dot`berlios`dot`de>
Weblog: http://nomius.blogspot.com
Jabber: nomius at jis.mit.edu

"Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes." - Edsger Dijkstra