SVN quick startup help needed

Diego Ongaro ongardie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 16:56:27 CEST 2007

On 8/7/07, Andre Ellguth <ellguth at ibh.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have announced my xfce panel plugin (wmdock) for a few days on the
> goodies.xfce.org site.
>
> Now, I want to use the xfce SVN.
>
> I have already a SVN account for https://svn.xfce.org/svn/ and some SVN
> experience and I need a quick startup help to upload my project
> to https://svn.xfce.org/svn/goodies/xfce4-wmdock-plugin.
> Can anybody explain me this in a short step by step tutorial with the
> best practices for the xfce svn?
>
> Greetings,
>         Andre

Welcome Andre,
I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

The svn book [1] is a great resource for using subversion -
particularly chapters 1, 2, and 4.

Inside the goodies repo [2] , you'll want to create a
xfce4-wmdock-plugin directory. Go to the svn mkdir page in the svn
book to help with that. Most plugins will have branches, tags, and
trunk subdirectories. Your code should be imported to trunk (and you
should work on it there), then copied/tagged into tags when you do a
release. The svn book explains branches, if you choose to use them.

It's recommended to keep a minimal set of files in svn - anything that
the auto* tools generate is unnecessary. See other plugins for
examples.

[1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/index.html
[2] https://svn.xfce.org/svn/goodies/

-Diego