transient windows with the gtk socket and plug mechanism

Ori Bernstein rand_chars at rogers.com
Wed Apr 25 19:27:08 CEST 2007

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:56:53 +0200, Andreas Lampersperger
<a_lampersperger at web.de> said:

> Hi Oliver,
>
> what you wrote seems to me very resonable.  (Thank your for the hint with the
> grabbing of the X-server).
>
> So in your point of view, this problem lies in the gtk and should be
> corrected there, right? What is the best way for an application to detect
> that a window is a toplevel window or not?

The problem lies in the application in question (in this case, it seems to be
the Adobe plugin), not GTK. The app should be calling _set_transient_for() with
a toplevel window.

I believe the appropriate way to get a toplevel window in GTK is to call
gtk_widget_get_toplevel() and use that for the call.

It could be argued that GTK should do this itself on a _set_transient call, so
you might want to file a bug with them.