the fonts is out of control

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 30 18:43:29 CEST 2007

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:02:09 +0200 Olivier Fourdan wrote:

>Unfortunately, it appears that Xorg doesn't read EDID correctly in many
>cases and therefore is unable to set the DPI properly (since it cannot
>tell the actual display size).
[..]
>3) Use the version from svn. Given the problems caused by the removal
>of the Xdt and DPI Settings (and even I still believe it's not a good
>idea to force these values), I've put them back for the next version.

Yes, I agree that this isn't the right approach.  Why not introduce an
option to the UI settings panel that, by default, will use the system
default DPI (i.e., that set by the X driver based on detected display
size), or the user can override it by setting a custom DPI.

Another cool option would be for the user to be able to actually enter
their display size (their actual display size, not 'I have a 19"
monitor'), but that might be a bit much.

	-brian