Xfce 4.4.1 ?

Kok, Auke sofar at foo-projects.org
Tue Apr 3 08:04:03 CEST 2007

Jani Monoses wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> Jani Monoses wrote:
>>> Any plans on this? In xubuntu the only thing post 4.4 are the
>>> libxfce4util fixes.
>> In that case, I'm afraid you may miss many fixes from SVN then. Why not
>> update to xfwm4 svn as suggested when you asked for it?
>
> svn is never finished and may need uploads for yet one more fix:) For
> instance the libxfce4util svn snapshot between two bugfixes in the branch
> caused more segfaults than before. I was thinking if the fixes are stable
> enough (in that maintainers consider them stable) a new release is adequate
> for non-ubuntu users as well.
>
> But I understand a release takes much time, unfortunately the same holds for
> us :( Packaging svn is somewhat more effort than doing it to a release,
> especially if it's not sure that only bugfixes are contained in the branch.
>
> IT would help xfce immensely IMHO if component owners could start releasing
> stable minor versions independent of a stable xfce, than have Xfce 4.4.X be a
> sum of the latest stables. Thunar and the larger xfce family (xfmedia,
> mousepad, xfburn) are already independent projects in that sense.
>
> All core devs seem to have little time, and this is aggravated by the fact
> that the times they do have time do not overlap. This was seen in the 4.3
> cycle as well. Several times when a release seemed close, someone did not
> have time to finish, so the others felt ok with starting new features, then
> the roles reversed. The panel, wm, session and desktop are very independent
> of each other.
>
> What do others think of such a Xorg style release process? Everyone can do it
> at his pace, and when the release managers have time they just pick the
> latest stables and do not need to urge or block on others.

sounds like it's worth a try at least. It would be *enticing* for developers if
they would have some regular schedule of xfce releases, so you would have to
have someone doing these releases on a tightly written down schedule. I wouldn't
do this for major releases, but for development releases or for stable
fix-releases it might make a lot of sense to regular drops.

Cheers,

Auke