Xfce4-dev Digest, Vol 35, Issue 15

Jean-Philippe Guillemin jp.guillemin at free.fr
Sat Oct 14 16:45:16 CEST 2006

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

>> Maybe I take Open-Source too seriously (professionally?), but I believe
>> that a feature that is made available to the users should be supported,
>> or removed. I'm worried to see such an answer from a member of the XFCE
>> development team.
>>

> What you are describing is the difference between commercial
> (professional? ;) and non-commercial software, open source or not.
>
> Xfce is strongly non-commercial. We work on this in our spare time,
> for fun. We make the software available in the hope that it may be
> useful for others. In fact, it is a big motivational factor that so
> many people seem to appreciate it.
>
> The nice thing about open source is that it is easy for other people
> to step in and help it. For that it is important to have code
> available to build on, even if it's not finished, or even working. We
> do what we can. It's not perfect, but it is not bad either.
>
> If you want professional support, you'd better start paying someone.
>
> --
>         Jasper

How do you think I spend 8 hours per day ?

Please forget about the word "professionally", but keep everything else.
Open-Source doesn't mean that the developer has no responsibility, even
if the license allows him to do so.

Let's end up here, I don't want to get my first Godwin point on this
mailing list :)

Cheers

JP