Xfce4-dev Digest, Vol 35, Issue 15

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sat Oct 14 15:15:30 CEST 2006

2006/10/14, Jean-Philippe Guillemin <jp.guillemin at free.fr>:

> >> Afaik, last time you asked this, the maintainer of xfdesktop answered
> >> "I don't support the multilevel menu feature.".
> >>

> >> Regards, Alexander Toresson
> >>

> Maybe I take Open-Source too seriously (professionally?), but I believe
> that a feature that is made available to the users should be supported,
> or removed. I'm worried to see such an answer from a member of the XFCE
> development team.

What you are describing is the difference between commercial
(professional? ;) and non-commercial software, open source or not.

Xfce is strongly non-commercial. We work on this in our spare time,
for fun. We make the software available in the hope that it may be
useful for others. In fact, it is a big motivational factor that so
many people seem to appreciate it.

The nice thing about open source is that it is easy for other people
to step in and help it. For that it is important to have code
available to build on, even if it's not finished, or even working. We
do what we can. It's not perfect, but it is not bad either.

If you want professional support, you'd better start paying someone.

--
        Jasper