Xfce 4.4BETA1 - core packages

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun Mar 26 13:18:10 CEST 2006

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>>Yep, this doesn't make much sense. xfdesktop should be in
>>xfce-applications then, as most people will build in the logical order:
>>xfce-core, xfce-applications and xfce-previews, and afterwards complain
>>that they don't have desktop icons.
>
> This doesn't really make much sense either - a DE without a desktop?
> That's kinda weird.

Indeed, still better than hundreds of people complaining about missing
desktop icons.

> I was thinking about loading libthunar-vfs on demand instead of linking
> to it directly, so xfdesktop could make use of it without having it
> present at compile time.  Not sure if I'll have time to do this, though.
>   Maybe I can use relaytool from the autopackage tools to make this
> easier?  I dunno; need to look into it.  I just feel like the dependency
> chain is kinda icky right now, and needs to be fixed.

That's going to be funny, esp. with thunarx, which in turn loads the
extensions. I doubt that this will work properly on all platforms.

> On a side note, Benny, what do you think about breaking thunar-vfs out
> into a separate pacakge?  Though I suppose packagers can choose to do
> this on their own if they want.

Packagers will already do this. Separating Thunar and thunar-vfs would
mean even more maintaince overhead for no good reason. And it'd be just
another library (or even two libraries, since xfdesktop also needs
thunarx) for the user to build separately (GNOME dependency hell, here
we come). If you are willing to add libthunar-vfs and libthunarx to the
core, you could also just add Thunar there as the additional overhead is
minimal (one binary plus three .desktop files and two icons).

> 	-brian

Benedikt