Xfce 4.4BETA1 - core packages

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Mar 26 13:51:36 CEST 2006

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> SJM Arts wrote:
>>> * xfce-desktop
>>> * xfce-applications
>>> * xfce-previews
>>>
>>> xfce-desktop would contain the libraries, the WM, the panel and
>>> xfdesktop
>>> xfce-applications would contain thunar, xffm, mousepad, orage,
>>> xfmedia
>>> and any other stable applications.
>>>
>>> xfce-previews would contain xfburn, xarchiver, xfc and any other
>>> unintegrated or unstable software.
>>>
>>> These three distros would have separate release dates and directories.
>>>
>>> I believe we need to make the base desktop as small as possible.
>> I think that is a great idea, but there has to be some rock-solid
>> documentation for all of that. I mean, you do not want to explain
>> to every visitor again-and-again you need thunar for xfdesktop icons.
>>
>> ... and more of those things ;)
>
> Yep, this doesn't make much sense. xfdesktop should be in
> xfce-applications then, as most people will build in the logical order:
> xfce-core, xfce-applications and xfce-previews, and afterwards complain
> that they don't have desktop icons.

This doesn't really make much sense either - a DE without a desktop?
That's kinda weird.

I was thinking about loading libthunar-vfs on demand instead of linking
to it directly, so xfdesktop could make use of it without having it
present at compile time.  Not sure if I'll have time to do this, though.
  Maybe I can use relaytool from the autopackage tools to make this
easier?  I dunno; need to look into it.  I just feel like the dependency
chain is kinda icky right now, and needs to be fixed.

On a side note, Benny, what do you think about breaking thunar-vfs out
into a separate pacakge?  Though I suppose packagers can choose to do
this on their own if they want.

> Also, I don't think that we need xfce-previews, that's just overhead for
> the release manager and the package maintainers. Maintainers of unstable
> software can do prereleases on their own (just like Thunar did for the
> past months).

Agreed, this seems kinda silly.

	-brian