Xfce 4.4BETA1 - core packages

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun Mar 26 12:21:29 CEST 2006

SJM Arts wrote:
>>* xfce-desktop
>>* xfce-applications
>>* xfce-previews
>>
>>xfce-desktop would contain the libraries, the WM, the panel and
>>xfdesktop
>>xfce-applications would contain thunar, xffm, mousepad, orage,
>>xfmedia
>>and any other stable applications.
>>
>>xfce-previews would contain xfburn, xarchiver, xfc and any other
>>unintegrated or unstable software.
>>
>>These three distros would have separate release dates and directories.
>>
>>I believe we need to make the base desktop as small as possible.
>
> I think that is a great idea, but there has to be some rock-solid
> documentation for all of that. I mean, you do not want to explain
> to every visitor again-and-again you need thunar for xfdesktop icons.
>
> ... and more of those things ;)

Yep, this doesn't make much sense. xfdesktop should be in
xfce-applications then, as most people will build in the logical order:
xfce-core, xfce-applications and xfce-previews, and afterwards complain
that they don't have desktop icons.

And xfce-desktop lacks gtk-xfce-engine-2, xfce-mcs-manager, xfce-utils,
xfce4-icon-theme and xfce4-session.

Also, I don't think that we need xfce-previews, that's just overhead for
the release manager and the package maintainers. Maintainers of unstable
software can do prereleases on their own (just like Thunar did for the
past months).

> Stephan

Benedikt