Xfce 4.4BETA1 - core packages

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Mar 26 14:25:08 CEST 2006

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>>> Yep, this doesn't make much sense. xfdesktop should be in
>>> xfce-applications then, as most people will build in the logical order:
>>> xfce-core, xfce-applications and xfce-previews, and afterwards complain
>>> that they don't have desktop icons.
>> This doesn't really make much sense either - a DE without a desktop?
>> That's kinda weird.
>
> Indeed, still better than hundreds of people complaining about missing
> desktop icons.
>
>> I was thinking about loading libthunar-vfs on demand instead of linking
>> to it directly, so xfdesktop could make use of it without having it
>> present at compile time.  Not sure if I'll have time to do this, though.
>>   Maybe I can use relaytool from the autopackage tools to make this
>> easier?  I dunno; need to look into it.  I just feel like the dependency
>> chain is kinda icky right now, and needs to be fixed.
>
> That's going to be funny, esp. with thunarx, which in turn loads the
> extensions. I doubt that this will work properly on all platforms.

Funny in what way?  I'm not worried about *unloading* the libs, just
view is turned off, that's fine.

I looked at relaytool, and it appears to do what I want, though it'll
only work on x86.  Not sure if it's worth the effort.  Since all the
thunar-vfs stuff is in only a couple files that won't get used at all if
thunar-vfs isn't available, I might just write my own wrapper that uses
GModule instead, so it should support all platforms.  Again, not sure if
it's worth the effort.

	-brian