xfce4-panel and SIGTERM

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sat Mar 18 19:13:59 CET 2006

Adriano Winter Bess schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed lately that whenever xfce4-panel exits by caughting SIGTERM it
> seems that the plugins don't receive the "free-data" signal. The same seems to
> happen when `xfce4-panel --exit' is invoked. Most plugins doesn't seem to care
> about this, but xfapplet complains with GDK-warnings such as:
>
> (xfce4-xfapplet-plugin:19806): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x1600034 unexpectedly
> destroyed

Yeah, this is what happens if the panel crashes. I am a bit surprised
that is would only happen with xfapplet though.

> and even more obscure messages such as:
>
> The program 'xfce4-xfapplet-plugin' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
> (Details: serial 251 error_code 3 request_code 18 minor_code 0)
> (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
> that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
> To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
> option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
> backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
> function.)

Welcome to the wonderful world of X error messages ;-)

> Besides the above, the panel crashes before exitting.

I think this might be the cause of the problems.

> OK, all of this may be just my programming mistakes (i.e., xfapplet bugs). But
> what is interesting is that when an xfapplet is removed explicitly from the
> panel or when the panel exits through the session manager mechanism (in both of
> these cases "free-data" does get sent to the plugins), everything works
> perfectly.
>
> Any thoughts about this?

Not really. Problems like these are hard to debug.

Does the crash also happen without the xfapplet plugin?

	Jasper