xfce4-panel and SIGTERM

Adriano Winter Bess awbess at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 16:53:52 CET 2006

Hi,

I've noticed lately that whenever xfce4-panel exits by caughting SIGTERM it
seems that the plugins don't receive the "free-data" signal. The same seems to
happen when `xfce4-panel --exit' is invoked. Most plugins doesn't seem to care
about this, but xfapplet complains with GDK-warnings such as:

(xfce4-xfapplet-plugin:19806): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x1600034 unexpectedly
destroyed

and even more obscure messages such as:

The program 'xfce4-xfapplet-plugin' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
(Details: serial 251 error_code 3 request_code 18 minor_code 0)
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)

Besides the above, the panel crashes before exitting.

OK, all of this may be just my programming mistakes (i.e., xfapplet bugs). But
what is interesting is that when an xfapplet is removed explicitly from the
panel or when the panel exits through the session manager mechanism (in both of
these cases "free-data" does get sent to the plugins), everything works
perfectly.

Any thoughts about this?

Regards,
Adriano