Xarchiver: behaviour of switch -n for Thunar integration

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Thu Jun 29 18:08:18 CEST 2006

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:30:13 -0300, Alexandre Moreira wrote:

> Let me see if I got this straight... If I want Thunar-archive-plugin
> to work with a archiver, I'd need an archiver that implemented a
> thunar defined interface ?

Yes, it needs to implement the flags needed for creating/extracting
archives. Adding files to an existing archive may be implemented in the
future, but there are no special plans for that, I think.

> Is there anywhere I can find out what is that interface ?

Currently, file-roller is hardcoded:
http://svn.xfce.org/filedetails.php?repname=xfce-goodies&path=%2Fthunar-archive-plugin%2Ftrunk%2Fthunar-archive-plugin%2Ftap-provider.c&rev=0&sc=0

But from the hardcoded command strings, you can already see which flags
need to be implemented ("--extract-to", "--extract", "--default-dir",
"--force", "--add").

> I may be overengeneering things a bit but, we (I, perhaps) could start
> thinking in writing wrapper interfaces for common archivers (just
> wondering, what if a user wants to run this action but needs not
> fileroller OR archiver.... the guy already has tar and gzip in his
> machine...)

Yes, this sounds reasonable and I think Benny will implement something
similar as soon as Xarchiver is ready to be supported.

> Being it so that multiple archivers can provide the same interface,
> how does the thunar-archive-plugin find out which one to use ? is
> there an option to define what is the executable for it?

Currently, file-roller is hardcoded (see the linked source above).

Regards,
Jannis

P.S.: Please place your reply below the sections you're replying to, not
above.