Multiple verve-plugins in different panels

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Wed Jul 26 21:02:18 CEST 2006

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:54:54 +0200, Nikolas Arend wrote:

> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

> >> Compiles fine for me and everything seems to work as expected.
> >> Except... sorry, Jannis, that I'm such a pain ;-)... but isn't the
> >> plugin supposed to have autocompletion and a
> >> command history? I don't get those, but I can't find anything
> >> unusual in configure's output either.
> >>

> > Indeed, it's intended to provide these features. At least the
> > command history should work on *any* system. I guess you already
> > know how to use the plugin - if not, here's a link:
> >
> >   http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/verve-plugin
> >
> > If you have a b0rked or empty $PATH (when starting the panel), that
> > might explain that there is no auto-completion (because only
> > executables in $PATH are scanned). Other than that, I see no reasons
> > why it should not work.
> >

> Ah, sorry for the noise, I guess I didn't use it correctly. Some
> comments though...
>
> - I was confused that auto-completion of paths doesn't work (e.g.
> /usr/sb-TAB doesn't do anything), which is why I thought the feature
> was missing

*This* feature is indeed missing, but it shouldn't be too hard to
implement (just check if the first char of the current "word" is "/" or
"~" and construct a completion list containing the subfolders). I'll ask
Brian to create a bugzilla component for Verve on bugzilla.xfce.org, so
we can add this as a feature request.

> - Auto-completion of commands doesn't seem to follow correct
> alphabetic sorting (e.g. xfce4-TAB brings up xfce4-mixer before
> xfce4-about or xfce4-menueditor)

That's true, I should sort them. Something which should appear as a
feature request once there is a component for Verve.

> - Auto-completion isn't coupled with the command history (like in
> xfrun4), which some people might be used to. But that's a matter of
> taste and I myself am not sure what I'd prefer.

Hmmmm, normally, it is. All commands from the history also appear in
the completion list. In addition, you can browse them separately via
UP/DOWN arrows.

- Jannis