Diverse issues with r22526

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Tue Jul 25 19:27:44 CEST 2006

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> I'm experiencing something similar on my laptop, but not on my desktop.
> I was starting to assume it was occurring because of my x.org 7.1
> upgrade this past week, but I feel like I've seen this on a rare
> occasion before that (on x.org 7.0, but also only on my laptop).
>
> In my case, I can't figure out an exact trigger, and the results are not
> always the same.  The one thing that does seem to happen all the time is
> that one window - whether it's a terminal, or thunderbird or whatever -
> will get focus and I can't focus any other windows, using mouse or
> keyboard.  Alt+tab stops working.  Sometimes the workspace-switching
> keyboard shortcuts still work, sometimes not.
>
> If alt+ctrl+F# still works (sometimes), I can go out to console and
> restart xfwm4, which, oddly, doesn't *always* fix the problem.
>
> One thing I tried doing was to disable xfwm4's compositor (just from the
> WM tweaks settings panel), and I haven't seen the problem since.
> However, enough time hasn't necessarily passed yet, so I'm not 100% sure
> I'm in the clear.  In this case, I'm using the OSS nv driver, so we
> can't blame it on nvidia this time.

For me the trigger seems to be switching desktops. I disabled my
shortcuts for "next desktop"/"previous desktop", forcing me to click in
the taskbar or use ALT-Tab and been working fine for some hours now.
Using CTRL-F# for switching desktops results in the same odd problems,
whereas ALT-Tab works flawlessly.
I'm on a laptop too, but with Xorg 6.8.2 and I haven't had problems since.

Nick.