Diverse issues with r22526

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Jul 25 19:08:36 CEST 2006

Nikolas Arend wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my apologies in advance, but this is going to be a rather fuzzy report
> about some issues I have with revision 22526 (which is why I didn't file
> a bug report yet), because I can't tell which component is causing the
> problems. I have a suspect though...
> Sometimes (well, rather often, but not always) when I try to change
> Desktops via a keyboard shortcut, this will only work once (i.e. one
> Desktop further). Then I'm unable to get any keyboard focus by clicking
> in applications, Alt-Tab stops working,... actually all keyboard action.
> Another side-effect is then that the panel would stop working correctly,
> in my case it will not hide again and when trying to open the submenu of
> a launcher, the arrow-button gets stuck. I have to kill the panel to get
> autohide and normal functionality back.
> I can regain input focus for all applications, shortcuts, etc. by
> launching an application from the panel (e.g. Terminal or Thunar), which
> is then focused again correctly. No component is crashing actually,
> hence no backtrace.
>
> I have the impression that the aforementioned behavior gets triggered
> either by maximizing a window and/or switching desktops. Could this be
> an issue with xfwm4's maximizing/focusing code? I noticed some recent
> changes (e.g. the window boarders are not shown any more for maximized
> windows).
>
> Sorry I can't be more specific, please tell me what other information
> you need.

I'm experiencing something similar on my laptop, but not on my desktop.
 I was starting to assume it was occurring because of my x.org 7.1
upgrade this past week, but I feel like I've seen this on a rare
occasion before that (on x.org 7.0, but also only on my laptop).

In my case, I can't figure out an exact trigger, and the results are not
always the same.  The one thing that does seem to happen all the time is
that one window - whether it's a terminal, or thunderbird or whatever -
will get focus and I can't focus any other windows, using mouse or
keyboard.  Alt+tab stops working.  Sometimes the workspace-switching
keyboard shortcuts still work, sometimes not.

If alt+ctrl+F# still works (sometimes), I can go out to console and
restart xfwm4, which, oddly, doesn't *always* fix the problem.

One thing I tried doing was to disable xfwm4's compositor (just from the
WM tweaks settings panel), and I haven't seen the problem since.
However, enough time hasn't necessarily passed yet, so I'm not 100% sure
I'm in the clear.  In this case, I'm using the OSS nv driver, so we
can't blame it on nvidia this time.

	-brian