Xfce preferred applications framework

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Jan 31 16:59:19 CET 2006

sofar wrote:
>>>I don't know how you've applied those settings but if you're using
>>>env vars it might be an idea to use this framework to set localization.
>>>
>>>A lot of users ask about setting the interface language, so
>>>maybe it's better to open a new bug for this plugin (??).
>>
>>Ehm, these are two totally different issues. ;-)
>>
>>The interface language should be selected by the login manager, IMHO.
>>Tho we could also add fallback behaviour to xfce4-session, but that
>>might turn out to confuse people if we don't sync the setting with what
>>is selected in the GDM/KDM menu.
>
> I started using 'slim' a while back for obvious reasons - which as far as
> I can see has no way of choosing locale. There are countless other possible
> ways to start Xfce other than through gdm and kdm... xdm?!
>
> I understand that {k,g}dm have set a default. But many of us don't appreciate
> the price that comes with it, and resort to `startxfce4` or some alternative
> to slim.

My point was that for people, who use GDM/KDM/<other DM that allows to
choose the locale>, it might be confusing if they select "German
(de_DE.UTF-8)" on GDM screen and after logging in the whole desktop
appears in English (because that's what Xfce things the user wants). We
need to take care to not mess up in these situations (i.e. sync with
GDM/KDM).

> Auke

Bene*xdm user*dikt