Xfce preferred applications framework

sofar sofar at foo-projects.org
Tue Jan 31 16:49:06 CET 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:45:15 +0100, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> Nick Schermer wrote:
>> I don't know how you've applied those settings but if you're using
>> env vars it might be an idea to use this framework to set localization.
>>
>> A lot of users ask about setting the interface language, so
>> maybe it's better to open a new bug for this plugin (??).
>
> Ehm, these are two totally different issues. ;-)
>
> The interface language should be selected by the login manager, IMHO.
> Tho we could also add fallback behaviour to xfce4-session, but that
> might turn out to confuse people if we don't sync the setting with what
> is selected in the GDM/KDM menu.

I started using 'slim' a while back for obvious reasons - which as far as
I can see has no way of choosing locale. There are countless other possible
ways to start Xfce other than through gdm and kdm... xdm?!

I understand that {k,g}dm have set a default. But many of us don't appreciate
the price that comes with it, and resort to `startxfce4` or some alternative
to slim.

Auke