ah, desktop icons

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Fri Feb 17 13:30:11 CET 2006

Biju Chacko wrote:
> That sounds kind of hacky. It's rather unexpected behavior, esp if
> running a shell script, say. And it's something easily fixed with a
> wrapper script or perhaps in a .desktop file. Executable files on the
> desktop really ought have ~/Desktop as their working dir.
>
> So I'd be against it, unless it was optional and off by default.

The use of the ~/Desktop is an implementation detail. For common users,
the desktop *is* the computer.

FYI, if you run a launcher from Nautilus desktop or from kdesktop, it
runs from the user home dir, not from ~/Desktop.

That means that xfce would be an exception here, for no good reason IMHO.

Cheers,
Olivier.