ah, desktop icons

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Fri Feb 17 13:50:32 CET 2006

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Biju Chacko wrote:
>
>>That sounds kind of hacky. It's rather unexpected behavior, esp if
>>running a shell script, say. And it's something easily fixed with a
>>wrapper script or perhaps in a .desktop file. Executable files on the
>>desktop really ought have ~/Desktop as their working dir.
>>
>>So I'd be against it, unless it was optional and off by default.
>

> The use of the ~/Desktop is an implementation detail. For common users,
> the desktop *is* the computer.
>
> FYI, if you run a launcher from Nautilus desktop or from kdesktop, it
> runs from the user home dir, not from ~/Desktop.
>
> That means that xfce would be an exception here, for no good reason IMHO.

That's a good point. But it reinforces my point. Say you open a document
on your desktop, you make changes and decide to "save as". The default
save location *isn't* the desktop where the original document is kept.
Thats counterintuitive and unnecessarily confusing.

OTOH, this makes some sense for *launchers* -- ie .desktop files. You
could create a special case for .desktop files, I suppose.

Of course, this whole discussion is moot if Brian doesn't want to
incorporate the feature. ;-)

-- b