icon theme

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Feb 9 19:27:32 CET 2006

daniele favara wrote:
> http://tango-project.org/static/cvs/tango-icon-theme/scalable/apps/system-users.png
>
> 	<icon name="system-users">
> 	    <link>kuser</link>
> 	    <link>config-users</link>
> 	    <link>system-config-users</link>
> 	</icon>
>
> i can understand what you're saying, but i see most of the people that
> are working on tango and icon-naming-utils are @novell .... i feel we
> should wait for that, anyway i'm monitoring the cvs logs and i have
> notes ... where i added
> "FIXME: system-users -->system-group"
> "TODO: system-user, system-reboot, mount-volume, umount-volume, eject-cdrom"
>
> and so on ....

Hm, system-users is missing from the lastest version of the icon naming
spec. Anyway, if it's going to be added to the spec, we can just use
that, as its semantically equivalent to system-group.

>>IMHO, the first step would be figure out what icon names should be
>>standardized, that are not already standardized
>
> i'm sorry but i don't agree with you here, as those specs are not
> ready yet and they are still working on and fixing them.
>
> I think first step should be to figure out the icon names that already
> exist and can be used | linked to xfce icon names an ex:
>
> Icon=xfce4-settings ---> preferences-desktop
>
> (when i say "xfce icons" i mean xfce as DM not xfce apps)
>
> when this is done ... when we will figure out what are all the xfce4
> icons that can be linked to existing ones (maybe before Sunday), i
> hope i'll have on my notes something more, but for this i need
> developers suggest what icons they need, as you've just done.
>
> So obviously in the mean time i'll add to my notes whatever you suggest ...

You can of course work on a patch to rename existing icons, and I will
happily apply it. But as you said, it's work-in-progress, and so it
would be IMHO more important to get involved now and make sure our stuff
is handled as well (shouldn't cause too much trouble, even for @novell
guys :-), than renaming our icons while the spec may change in the future.

>>(i.e. the iconbox icon isn't interesting here, since it's very, very
>
> Xfce-specific, same for  the Terminal icons, etc.).
>
> yes iconbox isn't interesting ... but terminal for ex is already present:
>
> http://tango-project.org/static/cvs/tango-icon-theme/scalable/apps/utilities-terminal.png

That's ok for default panel launchers, etc. But for the application
itself, it's a specific icon, just like you have a specific icon for
Firefox, Thunderbird, Thunar, Gimp, etc.

Benedikt