icon theme

daniele favara danjele at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 19:52:43 CET 2006

On 2/9/06, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> daniele favara wrote:
> > http://tango-project.org/static/cvs/tango-icon-theme/scalable/apps/system-users.png
> >
> >       <icon name="system-users">
> >           <link>kuser</link>
> >           <link>config-users</link>
> >           <link>system-config-users</link>
> >       </icon>
> >
> > i can understand what you're saying, but i see most of the people that
> > are working on tango and icon-naming-utils are @novell .... i feel we
> > should wait for that, anyway i'm monitoring the cvs logs and i have
> > notes ... where i added
> > "FIXME: system-users -->system-group"
> > "TODO: system-user, system-reboot, mount-volume, umount-volume, eject-cdrom"
> >
> > and so on ....
>
> Hm, system-users is missing from the lastest version of the icon naming
> spec. Anyway, if it's going to be added to the spec, we can just use
> that, as its semantically equivalent to system-group.
>
> >>IMHO, the first step would be figure out what icon names should be
> >>standardized, that are not already standardized
> >
> > i'm sorry but i don't agree with you here, as those specs are not
> > ready yet and they are still working on and fixing them.
> >
> > I think first step should be to figure out the icon names that already
> > exist and can be used | linked to xfce icon names an ex:
> >
> > Icon=xfce4-settings ---> preferences-desktop
> >
> > (when i say "xfce icons" i mean xfce as DM not xfce apps)
> >
> > when this is done ... when we will figure out what are all the xfce4
> > icons that can be linked to existing ones (maybe before Sunday), i
> > hope i'll have on my notes something more, but for this i need
> > developers suggest what icons they need, as you've just done.
> >
> > So obviously in the mean time i'll add to my notes whatever you suggest ...
>
> You can of course work on a patch to rename existing icons, and I will
> happily apply it. But as you said, it's work-in-progress, and so it
> would be IMHO more important to get involved now and make sure our stuff
> is handled as well (shouldn't cause too much trouble, even for @novell
> guys :-), than renaming our icons while the spec may change in the future.

:) sure ... what i mean is that if novel is involved on this i'm sure
we'll have all the *system* icons :)

just to be clear :) .... you don't need to rename existing icons  ...
if this will happen:

<icon name="preferences-system-session">
	    <link>gnome-session</link>
            <link>xfce4-session</link> <=========
</icon>

or better .. you can still use xfce4-session that should be a link to
preferences-system-session .. and xfce-setting-show should search that
icon in:

1) theme
2) hicolor
3) path

> >>(i.e. the iconbox icon isn't interesting here, since it's very, very
> >
> > Xfce-specific, same for  the Terminal icons, etc.).
> >
> > yes iconbox isn't interesting ... but terminal for ex is already present:
> >
> > http://tango-project.org/static/cvs/tango-icon-theme/scalable/apps/utilities-terminal.png
>
> That's ok for default panel launchers, etc. But for the application
> itself, it's a specific icon, just like you have a specific icon for
> Firefox, Thunderbird, Thunar, Gimp, etc.

yes ... it's not clear this on that wiki page .. i'll try to fix it.

ciao

df