Idea: Merging Task List + System Tray + Program Launcher applets(demo included)

Mike Massonnet mike.massonnet at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 23:35:42 CET 2006

On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 12:26:37AM +0800, robin wrote:

Hi Robin,

> The way you use your systray as a taskbar, is one of the prime reasons
> I've brought up the idea of merging the systray and taskbar.
> But the word 'merge' may not be an appropriate word to use though. I want
> both the systray and taskbar to each do what they've always been good at
> doing, but work with each other, since both share the same icon and
> sometimes the same function.

Maybe I should just remember some uses of the systray: take in example
Sonata, it is a music client to MPD, and if you close it you have the
option to let it remain in the systray.  This say, you can have apps
daemonized in the systray and call them back from there out.  In your
design this doesn't left such a possibility, so, IMHO, you _can't_ mix
the systray and the taskbar.  And I don't think the systray is designed
to be splitted in separate boxes.

My 2 cents,
Mike
--