Idea: Merging Task List + System Tray + Program Launcher applets(demo included)

robin me at robin.com.au
Sun Dec 24 17:26:37 CET 2006

The way you use your systray as a taskbar, is one of the prime reasons
I've brought up the idea of merging the systray and taskbar.
But the word 'merge' may not be an appropriate word to use though. I want
both the systray and taskbar to each do what they've always been good at
doing, but work with each other, since both share the same icon and
sometimes the same function.

And with the 'draggability' of the applet, you can drag icons to one side
which does all the 'notifications', while the other side has all the icons
which are the 'applications', like what we see now.

So I think my idea of this applet, is pretty flexible, it allows you to
use the taskbar+systray the old/current way, or the new way.

> I even use 'alltray' to minimize applications to the systray to save
> lots of space on my taskbar.
>
> If this all could be done in the taskbar itself, I would probably use
> the systray for it's original purpose only: notifications, not
> applications.

Well currently, if there are 2 panels, each with a tasklist, it would be
mirrored. Whereas if each panel have a systray, only 1 systray would work
in 1 panel. I think.

I did not think that deeply into my 3-in-1 applet. But I don't think it
would be much of an issue because that applet encourages people to look at
tasks and systrays all at 1 place, therefore 1 panel. I personally prefer
to use just 1 panel. I guess it could be a good idea, for the task buttons
to continue on the 2nd panel if the 1st panel gets too full. If the
developers want to spend more weeks adding that, then so be it, in the end
it is up to them.

> One question about your flashy demo though: Can you have multiple
> instances of the panel? If so, do they have there own applications or
> are they mirrored amongst each other?

Appreciate your thoughts.