Idea: Merging Task List + System Tray + Program Launcher applets(demo included)

Harold Aling h.aling at home.nl
Sun Dec 24 13:56:14 CET 2006

robin wrote:
> That's right, systrays are funny things, some are like apps, some are not.
> I even question the difference between 'applets' and 'systrays', look at
> 'tomboy' for GNOME. It used to be a systray app but now it is an 'applet'
> for GNOME and they work no different.

I currently (mis)use the systray to store aplication who should be
running 100% of the time, but I only need like 1% of the time. Just like
a panel applet!

I even use 'alltray' to minimize applications to the systray to save
lots of space on my taskbar.

If this all could be done in the taskbar itself, I would probably use
the systray for it's original purpose only: notifications, not applications.

One question about your flashy demo though: Can you have multiple
instances of the panel? If so, do they have there own applications or
are they mirrored amongst each other?

Great idea!

-H-