Systemtray & Taskbar panel-plugin problems (Xfce 4.2.3)

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 12:17:08 CET 2006

Alexandre Moreira wrote:

>2006/12/20, Rob wrote:
>
>> Ah, I just discovered that the plugin
>> panel-taskbar doesn't seem to have a
>> "Notification area" which could "Show the
>> system tray in the taskbar".

> I can't be sure about this, because it has been so
> long since I used the 4.2.x branch, but: have you
> checked to see if there is a "Notification area"
> plugin ? At least that is how 4.4 works. You get
> them separated, so you can use them wherever you
> want.

Ah, great, yes indeed, you're right.
There's a panel plugin called 'Systemtray',
which does exactly this.

Very quickly I discovered two problems with the
Systemtray panel-plugin:

1. BUG
When I also use the Taskbar panel-plugin, and
choose the Taskbar option "Expand to fill screen",
then the panel goes beserk for a while when an icon
is added to (or removed from) the Systemtray; the
panel is then flickering and jittering for a few
seconds.
Obviously, the Taskbar area must be reduced
(or enlarged) in this case to adjust the space for
the larger (or smaller) Systemtray, but apparently
this communication is not correct.

Is this solved with 4.4 ?

2. NUISSANCE
The Systemtray icon in the panel comes sandwiched
between two separators, whether I like it or not.
I also cannot remove these separators.
As the panel allows manual addition of separators
at will, it would be better to have the Systemtray
without these separators (for me, the separators
consume too much space in the panel!).

Is this improved in 4.4 ?

Best regards,
Rob.