xfce mcs "dialog" isn't really a dialog

Danny Milosavljevic danny_milo at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 15 20:35:44 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 18:57:32 +0200, Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

[...]

>> That is, dialog windows aren't useful on their own, just in connection
>> with another window / thing. And very short-lived.
>
> It goes without doubt that the Xfce MCS main dialog is not useful on
> it's own. It requires Xfce to fulfil its purpose.

Haha. It goes without doubt that humans are not useful on their own. They
need the universe to fulfil their purpose :)

> Also, the settings
> dialog is a not a window you work with for hours. Most times, you would
> just open on of the plugin dialogs and close the main dialog again.
>
> Now take a look at the bulk rename dialog of Thunar, which can be
> opened like a standalone program and still is useful. You see, defining
> dialogs isn't that easy.

I find it easy. As for the bulk renamer, it doesn't change
thunar's settings, it isn't modal and it's works standalone -> no dialog.

> I think we're fine off with how the MCS dialog
> currently looks.

Hm-hmm.

>> > Dunno if that patch to xfwm4 was already applied, but if so, it
>> > should be reverted IMHO.
>>
>> What has that to do with anything?
>
> It has at least to do with Benny's opinion on the patch - and with mine,

I meant, it has it's own thread on the ML. Burying it here isn't all that
useful.

> as I have to agree with him. I think it might be a nice optional feature
> for themes if they could make dialogs look different, but by default,
> the should have the same look as normal windows.

Okay, I'll have it check if a "dialog/" subdirectory exists in the theme,
and fall back to the window theme parts otherwise.
Gah, there is a thread for that.

cheers,
  Danny