xfce mcs "dialog" isn't really a dialog

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Tue Aug 15 18:57:32 CEST 2006

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:16:21 +0000 (UTC), Danny Milosavljevic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:51:09 +0200, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>
> > Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> [...]
> >> And xfce-mcs-dialog doesn't have any question.
> >>
> >> It's a correctness issue :) (read: nitpicking)
> >
> > That's somewhat bogus then. Because there are hundreds of dialogs
> > that are neither windows nor questions (note that dialog !=
> > question, i.e. I talk to you right, but there's no question in my
> > reply, but its nevertheless a dialog).
>
> I'm talking about computer dialog windows that are used when you
> request an action and it needs extra information (parameters) to
> complete that action.
>
> That is, dialog windows aren't useful on their own, just in connection
> with another window / thing. And very short-lived.

It goes without doubt that the Xfce MCS main dialog is not useful on
it's own. It requires Xfce to fulfil its purpose. Also, the settings
dialog is a not a window you work with for hours. Most times, you would
just open on of the plugin dialogs and close the main dialog again.

Now take a look at the bulk rename dialog of Thunar, which can be
opened like a standalone program and still is useful. You see, defining
dialogs isn't that easy. I think we're fine off with how the MCS dialog
currently looks.

> > Dunno if that patch to xfwm4 was already
> > applied, but if so, it should be reverted IMHO.
>
> What has that to do with anything?

It has at least to do with Benny's opinion on the patch - and with
mine, as I have to agree with him. I think it might be a nice optional
feature for themes if they could make dialogs look different, but by
default, the should have the same look as normal windows.

- Jannis