Xfce 4.4 beta1 released

Aaron aaronf0 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 03:29:14 CEST 2006

> On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 06:27:42PM -0400, Aaron wrote:
> > ok, i got a patch for this on irc from dostrow. the ./configure check
> > wasnt optional, more like a you suck at life install the software type
> > of check, but he said he'll be commiting it soon, so thanks for the
> > pointers.
> >

> I was building a new kernel and also this beta edition of xfce4.  i
> admit, i got some help with the kernel (i used to understand a lot of
> the stuff there, things seem to move quickly there though and hardware
> is not my thing) when i read this email.  i think i read the wrong thing
> in it because i was being frustrated building this beta version of
> xfce4.
>
> i read that the whole build of it was designed to tell me that "i suck
> at life".  which i already knew.  which might explain the reason i
> interpreted it this way.  and this is a newish thought for me, after
> several decades of thinking that i was not so bad at life.
>
> all that being said, i had determined that i would not ask for help to
> build something like a desktop environment.  kernel, yes.  desktop, no.
> and i didn't ask for help with this.
>
> i was not able to build either the net traffic plug-in nor the beta
> version of xfdesktop.  that being said, i can get to the thanks part!
>
> i already had a nightly of xfdesktop installed and that worked fine with
> the rest of the beta stuff that did install.
>
> btw, this particular email stopped me and made me think for a long
> while.  i see there is a lot of traffic since this mail that i have yet
> to read.
>
> so anyways, thanks!  i will keep looking for a way that i can help but
> it looks like things work fine with xfce4 developers without me actually
> doing anything.  if there is something i can do, please let me know.
>
> carol

i believe those are two common problems.

first, the plugins, dont build with the new panel. theyre being
rewritten right now to fix that, but you should be able to get the new
working plugins shortly, if you just asked about this, it could ahve
saved you alot of time.

second, i belive xfdesktop needs thunar to build, for some library
issues. this is a bit annoying, but also solvable, just build thunar,
then xfdesktop, then rebuild thunar again later.

also if the problem is simple, feel free to drop into #xfce on
freenode, most of the time they can help you with quick questions, or
ever bigger problems. saves you alot of time and grief.

and also, the thing with desktops, is the xfce team is great, but they
dont have thousands of people checking their code to make sure
everything works 100% of the time, unlike the kernel people. if we had
that many devs, there wouldnt be any errors in xfce, and it would be
perfecter than it already is.