[patch] Re: mcs-manager dialog too wide

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Tue Apr 4 16:55:10 CEST 2006

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:02:44 -0300
Adriano Winter Bess wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 09:13:39PM +0900, Daichi Kawahata wrote:
> > in English. How about using this attached patch anyway
> > (it's recommended distinguish the strings in desktop file),
>
> The patch seems nice if we are willing to go back to what
> I suggested on the original post in this thread, which is allowing
> translators to insert newlines when they believe it's adequate.

That can be understood, but there's an another answer, shortened
translations for that button icon, detailed in the title or the
label in the window.

It's also my opinion, the button string shouldn't be that detailed,
might be `WM Tweaks' or the like, but to be honest, I'm still not
sure whether that advanced setting plugin should be listed in the
same window while `Window Manager' is already there (and I'm
satisfied with this plugin), rather it may go to the sub-tabs
of `Advanced' tab in the normal Xfwm4 plugin, I've read Olivier's
post though.

> Anyway, we would still need the label to be justified center,
> otherwise translators would have to guess, by trial and error,
> how much white space should be inserted after the newline so
> that it looks centered.

I'm stick with the length given by the original sentence as
much as possible believing that it's the planned length to
fit the interface, so a trial and error only happens in that
limited spaces for me basically.

> Of course this guess would be suboptimal, since it depends on
> the font settings.

Yes, manually inserted white-spaces don't make sense at all,
<center></center> in libxfcegui4?

> In resume, it would be a real "hack", but this time in the PO
> files ;)
>
> A quick glance at the xfce-mcs-manager plugins suggests that
> at least the following other plugins would need context translation,
> i.e. the plugin's label text is used also somewhere else:
>
> Desktop
> Mouse
> Sound
> Preferred Applications
> Sessions and Startup
> Window Manager
> Workspaces and Margins

I've noticed those already, okay it's a patch time.

Regards,
--
Daichi

Language Codes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm