New panel in trunk

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Thu Sep 29 12:11:08 CEST 2005

Brian J. Tarricone schreef:

> Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I have just switched SVN trunk to the new panel framework. This is a big
>>change, so expect some b0rkage. You have been warned.
>>
>>The update will probably fail with a message about plugins and panel
>>directories. 'rm -rf panel plugins ; svn up' should do the trick.
>>
>>Note that most of the panel plugins have not been ported yet, so they
>>will not work. Also, unfortunately, the panel settings will not be
>>converted to the new panel.
>>
>>This is still very much development code, so there will probably be
>>problems. Please let me know about them, here or on bugzilla.
>

> Cool stuff.  I finally got around to installing the new panel (hehe,
> last time I checked it, it didn't actually do anything yet).  Seriously
> Jasper, you rock.  This is amazing, and you put it together in such a
> short time.

Thanks!

> Anyway, no complaints so far, except for the lack of systemload,
> netload, and weather plugins, and a clock with more options ^_~.

Hehe, indeed.

> A couple suggestions, though.  Feel free to ignore if you think I'm lame
> ^_^.
>
> 1.  With the 'Manage Panel Items' dialog open, I can drag items to the
> panel, and drag stuff around on the panels.  It would be cool to be able
> to drag stuff from the panel back to the dialog to destroy them.

Yeah, Erik asked for that too. Shouldn't be too hard, I guess, just have
to find the patience to look into gtk dnd again ;-)

> 2.  Dragging from the 'Manage Panel Items' dialog to the panel should
> show the icon for the plugin as the drag icon (it uses gtk's generic
> icon now).

Ah, yes, that would be nice. Should be easy to do.

> 3.  If I remove all the items from the panel, it shrinks to a couple
> pixels tall.  I feel like it should always be the height specified in
> the panel prefs dialog.  Same deal if I remove all but the clock:
> regardless of the panel size I set, it's as small as the clock.

Hmm, at least for the clock, that's easy to fix. For the panel, do you
want to restrict the height to the configured value or do you want a
minimum value?

> 4.  While I personally can't see a need for it, is there a reason why
> you can only have one pager per screen?

Well, I did it to test the X-XFCE-Unique key ;-) Seems I never removed it...

> That's it.  I'm not seeing the disappearing panel problem others have
> seen, but maybe I just haven't b0rked it yet ^_^.

Actually, that was Oliviers fault ;-) He fixed it yesterday, according
to the commit log.

	Jasper