missing taskbar fallage

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 23:28:12 CEST 2005

On 10/19/05, Carol Spears <carol at gimp.org> wrote:
> i just had something very very funny happen.
>
> i have deleted my taskbar and was missing it today.  i thought i would
> see what the gui can do and i tried to dnd from the panel manager to
> where the task bar used to be.
>
> it failed.  of course it failed, even as i tried to accomplish this it
> made no sense to me and i might have been disappointed if it had worked.
>
> so much for play, i got back to the tasks i had wanted to see in the
> taskbar -- i was answering email.  probably between two and three
> minutes later, after attempting to dnd from the panel manager a little
> icon tumbled down from the heavens of my desktop.  not unlike a message
> from god or a little piece of dandruff.
>
> all in all, that was a lot more fun than i expected.  was that behavior
> planned or is it just fallout from well behaving ideas?

The latter. When you drag onto something that doesn't accept drops,
you get a snap back of the icon as a visual indicator.

Odd that there was a several minute delay however. GTK 2.8 maybe?

> any hints on how to put the taskbar back now?

Do you have any panels other panels running? If so, just right click
on it, and click new panel, then add the taskbar plugin.

If not, run xfce4-panel from the run dialog (Alt+F2)

> thanks, this sure is being fun.
>
> carol

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."