missing taskbar fallage

Carol Spears carol at gimp.org
Thu Oct 20 00:03:32 CEST 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 05:28:12PM -0400, Erik Harrison wrote:
> On 10/19/05, Carol Spears <carol at gimp.org> wrote:
> > i just had something very very funny happen.
> >
> > i have deleted my taskbar and was missing it today.  i thought i would
> > see what the gui can do and i tried to dnd from the panel manager to
> > where the task bar used to be.
> >
> > it failed.  of course it failed, even as i tried to accomplish this it
> > made no sense to me and i might have been disappointed if it had worked.
> >
> > so much for play, i got back to the tasks i had wanted to see in the
> > taskbar -- i was answering email.  probably between two and three
> > minutes later, after attempting to dnd from the panel manager a little
> > icon tumbled down from the heavens of my desktop.  not unlike a message
> > from god or a little piece of dandruff.

probably a more romantic image (for the over 30 crowd) would be an ash
falling from the cigarette of someone who is honestly busy doing
something.

> > all in all, that was a lot more fun than i expected.  was that behavior
> > planned or is it just fallout from well behaving ideas?
>
> The latter. When you drag onto something that doesn't accept drops,
> you get a snap back of the icon as a visual indicator.
>
> Odd that there was a several minute delay however. GTK 2.8 maybe?

that could be, i should expect some new and fun behavior with this nifty
cvs widget checkout :)

> > any hints on how to put the taskbar back now?
>
> Do you have any panels other panels running? If so, just right click
> on it, and click new panel, then add the taskbar plugin.

interesting.  i did not recognize this as a panel.  everything worked as
you said it would.  so much for any helpful input from me today!  the
little push-me-pull you things are back in the corners -- the last thing
i am going to do today, this month or even this year is look that up in
the HIG to see if they think it is sane or not.

on the other hand, i am more motivated to look into xfwm configuration
to see if i can assign my own icons to those windows.  most of them are
uxterms, if i remember window manager configuration correctly (and
unless things have changed there a whole bunch) this should be fairly
simple.

> If not, run xfce4-panel from the run dialog (Alt+F2)

it appears that this would have worked as well.  i have a big brain
block when it comes to keys and dialogs that emulate console behavior
though.  the gui worked fine.

> > thanks, this sure is being fun.

and the help is not interfering with my work flow either :)

carol