Global Key Press Events Capture

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Thu May 12 06:27:02 CEST 2005

On 5/12/05, Shuveb Hussain <shuveb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi and thanks for the pointer,
>
> > > Can someone tell me which part of XFCE is responsible for capturing
> > > global key-press events and taking the appropriate action like
> > > bringing up help for Alt+F1 and the run dialog for Alt+F2, etc.
> >
> > it's the window manager : xfwm4
>
> The reason I asked for this is that, there was a new feature request
> in the xfce bugzilla for including keybindings for volume control. In
> bugzilla, further comments suggested that it be added in the volume
> control plugin.
>
> I understand that this feature can't be added to the window manager,
> since there is only a correspondence between a keybinding and a
> command to be executed. I think, the right thing would be to add it to
> the volume contol plugin.
>
> There arises one more problem this way. If the user wanted to change
> the default keybindings, then an interfece for that needs to be
> provided. If, tomorrow, another applet in xfce needs to add
> keybindings for some reason, it has to duplicate the interface for
> customizing keybindings.
>
> At some point of time, IMHO, we need to develop a central keybindings
> database with a single system wide interface. XFCE applets that work
> with key bindings can get their keybindings from that database.

Except the current set of keybindings are modifiable. And certainly
there is already the trouble of stepping on existing keybindings in
applications.

Really increasing the number of global keybindings is a dangerous
proposition for lots of reasons. It's probably best to let users and
downstream manage it for us, with things like multimedia keyboards,
embedded applications, and the like

> Please comment.
>
> --shuveb

CAPS LOCK: ITS LIKE THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME
-Erik